If you’re thinking about scheduling a rhinoplasty consult, there are a couple things that you should know that will help you prepare. Your consultation is the first step to having a positive surgical experience, so it’s important to make it count.
It will also give you the opportunity to get to know your surgeon and experience the clinic and its staff, all of which will give you a good indication of what you can expect as a rhinoplasty patient.
Your Rhinoplasty Consult: What You Will Discuss
Upon arriving for your consultation, you will be asked to complete some preliminary paperwork. From there, you will get to meet the surgeon that will be performing your surgery.
During your consultation with Dr Michael Zacharia, these are some of the things that you will be discussing with him.
- Your aesthetic goals, any problems you’re experiencing with your nose and your surgical expectations
- Your medical history as well as past surgeries
- Any prescription medication, vitamins and supplements that you’re currently taking
- Your alcohol and smoking habits (You will also need to disclose whether you’re currently using any recreational drugs)
5 Questions to Ask During Your Rhinoplasty Consult
Rhinoplasty is a complex procedure and there’s absolutely no such thing as a silly question. The more informed you are, the more comfortable you will feel throughout your surgical experience. Patients who feel overly anxious before their surgery usually don’t know what to expect but understanding every aspect of your procedure will prevent this from happening.
Knowing enough about your surgeon is also an important part of feeling comfortable as a rhinoplasty patient. Here are a few questions that you should always ask during your consultation:
- 1. What are your qualifications and where did you receive your training?
- 2. Did you specialise in facial plastic surgery?
- 3. How long have you been in practice?
- 4. How many rhinoplasty procedures have you performed to date?
- 5. Do you have any before and after photos that I can look through?
Reputable surgeons will be able to provide you with answers to all of the above questions.
Your Rhinoplasty Consult: The Physical Exam
During your consultation, you can also expect your surgeon to perform a physical examination of your nose. Your nose needs to be inspected inside and out before your surgeon can determine whether an open or closed procedure will be required and how much work will need to be done to achieve your desired result.
Your surgeon will also look at aspects such as the thickness of your skin and the strength of your cartilage to determine whether you’re an ideal candidate for the procedure. Your surgeon will also need to analyse whether the surgery will impact your breathing.
As a final step, your surgeon will take photos of your nose from several different angles, which will provide you with a visual reference after your procedure. Some surgeons even use 3D software to digitally alter your nose, providing you with a good idea of what your new nose will look like.
If you’re happy with your surgeon and your surgical plan, you can go ahead and schedule your rhinoplasty procedure.